Pages

Tuesday 18 October 2016

And so it beings.... again.

Welcome to the third attempt at making this blog stick! Hopefully this time it will - it definitely helps that my activity on here for the next couple of months will be graded. (Hi Tim!)

At one point, I had high hopes for becoming a blogger. I was on a gap year and looking for something to do after work that would make me happy - and the popularity bloggers (and vloggers) were on the rise. I was watching people like Zoella (a UK based beauty blogger/vlogger with a current following of 11 million people) reach 1 million followers on YouTube and reaping the benefits. Cosmetic companies were sending her products - she got paid to sit at home and talk about make up! What a dream job! 

So I started a blog. The motivation to keep it going was never there. As much as I loved playing with make up, I didn't love it enough to keep talking about it every day, and this blog fell by the wayside. 

I tried again a couple years later, fresh out of college. I had every intention in joining the ranks of travel bloggers this time - chronicling my month long graduation trip to Scotland, England and France. It was an amazing trip, but I didn’t take the time out of the trip to chronicle enough to make it blog worthy – and returned to working 44 hours a week immediately upon my return, with no time to get over jetlag much less write about my experiences. C’est la vie.

So here we are, shifting the focus and starting this blog over again, shedding the concerns over gaining followers. This blog will be for me – an outlet for my writing, and a way to hold me accountable for the lifestyle changes that I’ve been trying (with only a modicum success) to make.

This blog, for the most part, will chronicle the ups and downs of my journey towards living a cruelty free lifestyle. The first hurdle is to remove cosmetic products that have been tested on animals from my product line up, as I do not want to actively contribute my hard earned money on products that have caused suffering in vulnerable animals.

The biggest hurdle will be the process of slowly scaling back the amount of meat and dairy products in my diet, with the ultimate goal of removing them completely. Can this picky eater learn to love chicken nuggets made from vegetables? Can I give up the delightful squeak of real cheese curds and beef gravy in poutine, my favourite Canadian delicacy? Can I learn to survive on tea with no milk? Only time (and surely several missteps) can tell.

So stick around for more on the baby steps I’m taking towards this lifestyle and other musings I'm sure to make. I’ll see you in the next one.  


Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment